ALTE Associate Membership is for an institution (or consortium) which is involved in the development, application, administration or research in language testing. This may be companies, chains of language schools, independent language schools, universities, research institutions, technology providers, etc. They are not full members, and the quality of their tests cannot be guaranteed. However, they aspire to meet high standards of quality in language assessment.
Associate Membership status used to be called 'Institutional Affiliation' before 2021.
Benefits of becoming an Associate Member include:
In order to be an Associate Member, organisations must:
Procedure to become an Associate Member
1. Complete the ALTE Associate Member application form and prepare a supporting document with background information regarding the organisation, the work in relation to language testing, and the areas you hope to develop in the future through to your participation in ALTE.
NB. There are two payment tiers for Associate Members. Most organisations will fall within Category A. However, if you are an independent language school (not part of a chain) or small business, producing in-house assessments only for a limited number of test-takers in one location, then you may be eligible for Category B. If you feel your organisation should be considered for a Category B fee, please state this in writing in the relevant place on the Associate Member application form, and the Board of Trustees will work with you to determine if this is the case. The Board's decision on whether you fall into Category B is final.
2. The above documents shall be reviewed by the ALTE Board of Trustees, either during one of the bi-annual Board meetings or by email. The Board will decide whether the organisation is allowed to join ALTE as an Associate Member. The Board's decision is final.
3. If the Board accepts your organisation, you will be asked to complete and sign the ALTE Associate Membership agreement. This must be done within 12 weeks of being notified that the Board has accepted the organisation as an Associate Member. If you would like to examine this document in advance, please contact the ALTE Secretariat.
4. Upon receipt of the document (duly completed and signed by the legal representative of the organisation), the Secretariat will issue an invoice to pay the annual subscription fee for Associate Members. The subscription fee is payable at the beginning of each calendar year. The current subscription fees (2021) are:
|Category A (new Associate Members signing agreement on or after 30th June - first year only)||€250|
|Category B (new Associate Members signing agreement on or after 30th June - first year only)||€100|
5. The annual fee must be paid timely according to the terms of the invoice. Delays in payment may affect your membership with ALTE and/or your chances of being re-accepted again in the future.
Note: transfer of membership is not usually permitted - but see the Rules on Transfer of Membership.